Wednesday, January 1, 2020

C.M.S. .457 Pistol

To start with, CMS stands for Cothran Machine Shop.  Don Cothran that is.  He specializes in the custom fabrication of Crosman and Marauder "custom parts".  If you aren't familiar with his work, you can check his website out here:  https://cothranmachine.com/.  Go to the GALLERY page to see examples of his products or the SHOP section on his webs header to buy pieces.

So, why a big bore pistol?  Well, this is more of the "collector" in me than anything else, but, I've always wanted a BB Pistol for many years. Every since I 1st saw Eric Henderson (Adventures Afield) shooting the infamous DAQ (Dennis Quackenbush) line of pistols.   Plus, I do hunt medium sized game so, you just might see a video of me and the gun taking game.  My caliber wants have varied from 40 cal up to 58 cal with 457 and 58 being the top 2.  So its no wonder I've decided on the 457 as caliber of choice.  Talking with Mr Cothran made the choice even easier.  So off to his website I went to start piecing together the pistol.  The hardest choice was figuring a barrel length that I would be happy with.  Its not just about power with me, its also about overall aesthetics too.  And a barrel thats TOO long on a pistol sorta makes it a CARBINE and makes it look Wonky.

So, off to his website I go to pick my parts:
Hammer, Main Spring, Lower Tube End cap and Power Adjuster

Fill Plug complete with End Cap and Foster Fitting

Disco Powerhouse Valve.  This is no ordinary valve...............

Bolt Probe and Bolt Handle

Duel Barrel Bands

Big Bore Breech

MCA (Maverick Custom Airguns) Trigger assembly and Walnut Grips

Its altogether. RIGHT Side

Its altogether. LEFT side

So, now that we've seen the parts, I asked DC to send the gun disassembled so I can put it together myself and drool over how nice it assembles.  I was not disappointed.  So far, this gun is so nice, I'm anxiously awaiting my next purchase from him.  Let go ahead and take a look at the finished product.  For "eyes", she is wearing a UTG 2-7x32mm pistol scope which provides roughly 25" of eye relief..  Its a clear scope with 2 mil-dots that provide bullet drop compensation.
LEFT

RIGHT

My goal with the rig is to shoot slugs a little lighter than what most would consider using for the caliber (.457).  150 grs through 250 grs (max).  Big and heavy slugs per caliber are best suited to rifles and not pistols due tot the fact that pistols lack barrel length.  And we all know that longer barrels make more power.  Until next time folks!  I hope you enjoyed this story, SAFE SHOOTING!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Very cool. Keep up being a pioneer in our sport

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and read MKD1969! You'll always be my buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That rig is awesome. I was wondering where you got your .457 barrel or if it was a custom barrel you produced? Thanks Braydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm was on the phone with Mr. Don a few minutes ago. He's kinda working on a project for me. ;<)
    Love the pistol, we talked about it.

    Knife

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like you YouTube video so well I went out and bought one. set it up very similar to yours. I plan to shoot 250 grain slugs and harvest a deer possibly. IPhone down to be an ex want machinist and a wonderful Person to work with.

    ReplyDelete