Tuesday, June 7, 2011

CROSMODS Discovery .22: First day in the field

I was eager as usual for this day to come.  And when it did, i was as happy as a kid in a candy store.  I had done my usual check of the weather and all seemed like it was gonna be pretty good.  The CROSMODS Discovery 22 (aka CD22) had turned out to be such a wonderful looking rifle that i could not wait to shoot it.  I won't bore you too much with EXTRA DETAIL so i will start the story of my day.

Lets start with a couple of pics of the gun:
Sadly, after arriving at my locale (shooting area), i found that the wind was far off from what the weathermen had predicted.  They said 3 mph but, it was more like 13 mph at certain points throughout the day.  But what was very nice was seeing a few jack rabbits and ground squirrels running about.  That is always a sign of "IT'S GONNA BE A GOOD DAY".  My 1st task at hand was to sight the gun in at 50 yards.  I pre-sighted the gun in at 13 yards previously and this usually always puts me on paper when i get into the field and sight in at 50 yards.  The first shot landed to the right of the bullseye about 3" and the next landed just to the left of that shot by about 3/16".  I thought i was off to a decent start but, the one thing that i try not to do is sight a gun in "IN THE WIND" cause i truly have no idea of were the pellets are truly supposed to be hitting once the wind either slows down or stops all together.  After taking my third shot and noticing that my paper targets were blowing off my target stand, i decided to pack it up and to move to another area and focus on hitting reactive targets instead of paper targets.
Here are a few pics of one of my shooting areas:


Once here, i set up my target stand along with some reactive targets that i made at home.  It was not as windy up here as it was at my first location.  But, it was not WINDLESS.  So reactive targets it was to be.  The targets included my usual array of water filled plastic bottles and some plastic Easter eggs filled with flower, 12 raw eggs sitting on golf tees, and a few balloons that i filled with water.  All of these make great targets as when you hit them, you know it..lol:

By now, it was much later in the afternoon and i had decided that the gun was as sighted in as i could get it for the day without putting it on paper.  After all, i was smashing raw eggs out to 66 yrds.  So off to my hunting area to see how the gun would perform on live quarry.  After arriving, i knew i did not have too much time...maybe and hour tops.  The wind was also picking back up.  After walking out into the field about 100 yards, i found this little fella perched up right in front of me about 46 yards away.  He was pretty husky too.  One of the biggest Ground Squirrels i had ever seen.  I was actually nervous a little as this was my CD22's first potential kill.  Upon the shot, i quickly heard the very audible "THWOCK" and the squirrel tightened up at the shot and dropped like a brick.  It was a very well place eyeball shot:

It was getting late and i still had about a 45 minute drive back up to the main road.  I packed up my gear and headed out.  Upon reaching the front of the area, i spotted a big Jack Rabbit running right in front of my truck.  I slowed down to see if i could spot him and he was about 85 yards aways to my left.  I parked my truck and grabbed my CD22 and stalked up to what i thought might have been 45-50 yards away from him.  I could still see him hiding behind the brush.  I snuck around till i could clearly spot him and BOOMMMMM...the Jack fell to the CD22.  The pellet landed EXACTLY were i aimed..between the eye and the ear:

All in all i had GREAT 1st Field day with my new gun.  Its a blast to shoot, seems to be very accurate with a handful of pellets.  But i think it really likes the .22/15.9 gr JSB Exacts.  The finished gun minus the camera and camera mount in the picture weigh in at 7.8 pounds and has a OAL of 40", so it makes for a very comfortable, easy to hold steady, pointable and compact rifle.  CROSMODS did a really great job on CNC machining the custom parts for the Discovery rifles.  The neat looks, the quality of parts, and the overall weight make it all worth it.

Here is a video of MY FIRST DAY IN THE FIELD WITH THE CD22:

Thanx for reading and watching and as usual...................................
STAY TUNED!

1 comment: