Monday, April 15, 2013

Part 3: My long range "AIRGUN" quest - THE 7mm

This is the beginning of the 3rd part of my long range venture with Air Guns.  The 1st was my Corsair 308 and then my TalonDor 257.  Staying with the same priciple as I did with my AirForce gun, I want to REUSE what I already have (its a secret until the next post).  So using what i know about ballistics and readily available barrels that are affordable, my newest caliber choice for long distance shooting is non other than the.............................7MM!

Why the 7mm some might ask?  Simple, the 7mm along with the 6.5mm has some of the best and highest BC numbers.  With the ADDED BC numbers of such calibers, they are a true AIDE for Air Guns.  By "AIDE" I mean, they have the highest BC numbers along with LIGHT WEIGHT bullets which "AIDES" in the downrange performance due to a airguns low fps numbers.  Estimated BC numbers so far after countless minutes of research is .233.

Finished barrel length on my Air Gun should be in the neighborhood of 28-30 inches.  And possibly 30 inches for max fps.  The barrel will be a liner from TJ Enterprises and has an internal dimension of .278 bore and .284 groove with a 9/16" outter barrel diameter.  It will also have 6 lands and grooves and have a recessed target crown.  More details to come later when the gun is finished.  But for now...............................................

The 7mm 130 gr Soup Can bullet:
 













 Stay TUNED!

Tofazfou





2 comments:

  1. You might have a slightly higher BC with the 7mm soup can but you have a significantly higher frontal area with the round nose flat of the Soup Can design. Have you looked for a bullet similar to the .45-70 Snover design? These are semi-spitzer design that offer very good performance in the transonic region(920-1200 fps).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Carlos, i haven't looked yet for the bullet similar to that that you speak of. But after i get things sorted out with the gun and the Soup Cans, i will for sure venture into my second mold. For airgun plinking/target shooting, a spitzer design like the one you speak of is optimal.

      Thanx for the comment sir.

      Delete