Monday, January 20, 2014

Doug Noble Machining: My Corsair+ 7mm comes to life

On this post, I wont bore you guys with too many words.  I know how we guys are...sometimes we just want more pictures and video and less story.  But this one is easy to follow if you've read my previous post on my CORSAIR+ .308 going 7mm.  Well, the time has come and so has the story, pictures and video.

STORY:  In short, here is the very SHORT beginning of a long written (future) saga about my Corsair+ in 7mm.  Previously, the Corsair was in 308 in which I loved but I felt a few things could be better.  One thing in particular was the barrel.  The 308 version had a 1 in 20 twist rate and the lead in was cut for 170 gr bullets.  This was never Kosher with me but my gun performed pretty well with 150 gr and lighter bullets which was my personal preference.  So now, its either get a new 308 barrel with a faster twist or change calibers altogether.  I also wanted better mounted and cut Weaver scope rails.  The choice was easy, I wanted a new caliber anyways since years ago I gave up my 308 Winchester for the 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser.  Following suit, I could have opted for a 6.5mm barrel but I hate having 2 of the same caliber anything.  So since I never owned anything in 7mm, why the heck not.  So, you ask........WHY 6.5 or even 7mm?  Well, the answer is simple, those two calibers offer some of the highest Ballistic Coefficient values in bullets that could be considered pretty light for caliber.  This is exactly what I'm after, shooting lighter bullets at faster speeds that have high BC numbers.  These features are ideal for long range shooting.  Another attribute is that lighter bullets kick less due to less mass accelerating down the barrel and exiting.  For an air gun, recoil is not that serious but, why not have less anyways while having all the benefits of a serious long range round.  So 7mm it is. The barrel is made by TJ Enterprises and has a twist rate of 1-14 and he also offers a 1-10" twist which can handle heavier bullets.  But I don't want HEAVY, I want LIGHT (ER).  After all, this is an air gun that only deals with 3800 psi and under as opposed to 50-60,000 for this guns center fire ancestors.  The 7mm barrel measures 30-1/4" long with a O.D. of roughly 9/16" and a bore to groove dimensions of  .278/.284".  Also, the bullet of choice would be any design around 120-135 grs with a BC of around .300 +- some.

PICTURES:
CORSAIR+  RECEIVER


 7MM BARREL MACHINING "THE START"

 7MM BARREL MACHINING IN PROGRESS

 7MM BARREL MACHINING:  all cuts/holes made at the breech of the barrel

 CORSAIR PARTS IN A PILE

MACHINING THE TRANSFER PORT TO FIT 7MM BARREL

WEAVER BASE before machining

1/2 X 28 TPI THREADED BARREL

 FINISHED 7MM TJ ENTERPRISES BARREL

 MUZZLE BRAKE ON 7MM BARREL

FINISHED BREECH END WITH TRANSFER PORT AND ORING

 FINISHED BREECH END WITH LOADING PORT AND BARREL SET SCREW

 WEAVER BASES INSTALLED ON COMPLETE RECEIVER AND LOWER TUBE
 
 
7mm BULLETS



THE CORSAIR+ 7MM


VIDEO:


AS USUAL............STAY TUNED!

TOFAZFOU

4 comments:

  1. SWEET !! That should be a laser !! I always thought the 7M would be the perfect bigbore !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hola i nedd a e-mail or telefon dealer por bay this is rifle please i am sorry i not sepek ingles gracias

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi can you please send me doug nobles contact info ?

    ReplyDelete