Tuesday, January 5, 2016

CORSAIR+ 7mm: UPDATE/UPGRADES

 
Hey folks.  Just wanted to drop in a give and update on my Corsair 7mm.  I've really been paying some attention to this rifle as opposed to my TD257.  On my last update, I epoxied a Carbon Fiber sleeve to the guns barrel and that has worked well.  The CF sleeve's intention is to stiffen the barrel to remove any FLEX that is there.  The barrel is a Barrel Liner from TJ Enterprises and they come pretty thin. About .562"+.  Since Carbon Fiber is as strong or stronger than steel, not only would it add rigidity to the barrel but it would add girth.  The CF sleeve did aid in accuracy and consistency but something "SLIGHT" was still amiss.  My next thought was to test the gun WITH and WITHOUT its muzzle brake.

Once out to my shooting local, I shot a quick group with the muzzle brake ON.  I then shot a group with the muzzle brake OFF and I was soon surprised at how accurate the gun was WITHOUT it.  I played around for the rest of the shooting session with the MB off and decided once I got home, I would check it for clipping.  Clipping really was NOT my concern but I had to check the theory non the less since clipping with airguns is so common when you have a muzzle brake or shroud attached to the end of the barrel.  Once home, I checked the MB and it showed no signs of clipping and the hole in the MB was OVER .320" or so cause its made for a .308 rifle.  Still, thinking i could improve things, I opened the hole up.  Once I was able to return to my shooting spot, the same test as before was run.  A grouping WITH and WITHOUT the MB.  WITH the MB, things did improve over the last outing but they still were not better than WITHOUT the MB.  I determined simply that the MB had a "BAD" effect on the accuracy of the airgun and it will now be shot WITHOUT a MB.  So WITHOUT it is.  Hey, it's built for a 308 powder burner so i'm sure with the lower muzzle pressures of the airgun, the base or body of the bullet is affected as it enters, and exits the MB.

The next step I wanted to perform was to install an Aluminum Pillar into the stock that would add more rigidity to the action when mounted in the stock.  Its common knowledge that either Glass Bedding or Pillar Bedding aids in the accuracy dept.  So why not an airgun? Pillars can be bought from places such as Midway USA and Brownells.  See video down below for the process.  The results will be posted at a later date when the weather here allows for me to get out and thoroughly test.



With this being a long range airgun, it was time for one of the most anticipated but obvious upgrades.  I mean, I already had the SWFA 12x42 MRAD Scope but no high MOA Rings.  A call to my buddy Josh Porter at http://www.accuratebigboreairgunammo.com/ got me a set of 30mm SUN OPTICS adjustable rings.  These rings are adjustable for windage and elevation and are very cost friendly compared to other brands.  About 35 bucks a set.  As you can see from the last pic above, I already have about .055" of Elevation in the rear ring and none in the front.  These rings allow me to center my scope in all its turret setting for Elevation and Windage and be dead on at 100 yards which is were this gun stays sighted in for.  More testing and an update to come on these rings!

In the next session with the Corsair, we will test all the improvements to the gun.  Yes, its a lot of things done all at once but they are things I was going to inevitably do anyways.

Stay TUNED!

Tofazfou

4 comments:

  1. SWEET !! I can't wait to shoot my 7mm that you helped me with.. Haven't decided if I am going to glass bed or pillar it.. As far as the MB goes.. It also seem anything that disrupt the air flow at the muzzle will effect the projectiles path.. I have the same rings and have used them for years, but never thought to use them that way.. As always great info my friend !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray,

    Thank you kindly. Please keep me posted on your build. Honestly, you can't go wrong with EITHER the glass or pillar bed and or both actually. It can't possibly hurt doing both.

    With the muzzle brake, you just have to try with and without it. I shot the gun for so long WITH the MB and I've had great results. But honestly, it seems once I sleeved the barrel and pillar bedded, the harmonics of the barrel were altered and both things FOUGHT the muzzle brake. If that makes any sense. Now the gun is simply more accurate WITHOUT the MB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely gun, love to have on of this one. But we must remember one thing that all these arms and ammunition are meant only for safety and security and so using it for harming others is not good at all. You people can also take help from the gun licensing system to get guns, like I had mine from MA Gun License that provides me a legal permission to have guns of my choice and for which I m trained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beauty of a gun for sure, but you know, you can achieve quite a lot with an air rifle. FX Airguns are a pretty good example of this..... http://www.pellpax.co.uk/brandcollections/fx-airguns

    ReplyDelete