Monday, August 26, 2013

S.W.F.A. SS MRAD 12x42 30mm Scope: Let's give it a try!

Since getting into long range air gun shooting my eye has been on the SWFA line of scopes.  With my TD257, I already had a scope or two laying around and I wasn't about to spend more money if I didn't have too.  But now that I have a 7mm air gun in the works, I knew I needed not only a clear scope (good glass) but also a scope with PLENTY of MOA to reach way out there when the need arises.  And IT WILL arise.  From all that I've read, the SWFA scopes have over 100 MOA in them and have 30mm tubes.  SWFA makes adjustable powered scopes as well as fixed power scopes.  After much deliberation, I decided to purchase a FIXED power scope at 12x.  You see, I mainly shoot at 12x anyways and I really hate moving my zoom in and out as it changes your POI if you don't get it right back to the setting that you sighted your gun in with. 
Scope stats:  12x42mm, 30mm tube, Matte Finish, the reticle is Mil-Quad Reticle (MRAD) instead of Mil Dots, Rear Focus, OK for .50 cal and .10 MRAD

 
 
Reviews:  Once of the great things about the Web/WWW is its wealth of knowledge right at your fingertips.  It makes shopping a lot easier due to the tons of personal reviews by people that bought the equipment before you.  While individual taste might vary, it at least gives you a good start and a good feeling about your purchases.  Just about every review I've seen on the SWFA line of scope has put it higher than other scopes such a Leupold, Night Force and Bushnell to name a few. So far, and at this point, I am very pleased with the scope.  It looks to be well made and a tank as well as the glass being clear.  VERY CLEAR.  While I will provide a pic of the reticle, that picture does this scopes clarity no justice.  Its a old camera lens looking through a new scope and I'm shooting up at the blue sky.  But you will get the point.  I will have to confirm once i get the scope mounted to the gun if the other review points were spot on.
 

 
 
I also purchased a few extra goodies to go along with the scope and my taste.  SWFA offers a good deal of extras with their scopes and they post them right there next to the scope so you don't have to search the WWW for them.  Things like the "OPTION" to add Mil dots and also to order Butler Creek Flip up Covers as well as Sun Shades and Scope Levels and other options.  I also ordered a set of Burris 30mm Signature Zee rings with +10 MOA inserts.
 

 
Of course, once I get my next long range missile launcher together I will give you all my own REVIEW of this scope along with some video of its performance.  I've heard so much about this scopes ability to click up and down, left and right and track true that I simply can't wait to check it for myself.
 
Stay Tuned
Tofazfou






2 comments:

  1. It feels sturdy and looks like a good, quality piece. Mounted it on my Savage 10 with an EGW base and the SWFA SS rings (which are also good) and was able to lock in ½” groups at 100 yards my first time out. The optic is very clear, up there with similar priced Leopold’s in my opinion. The focus adjustments are smooth and accurate. The only downfall to this scope was that the turrets do have a bit of play but other than that the clicks are very audible and better than almost anything you'll get. Overall, if you want a tactical or just sturdy scope with good magnification, clarity, and quality for cheap, this is the scope you want. Gregory Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete